Friday, January 28, 2011

The 99th Page

Yup, I'm blogfesting. Hopefully this is entertaining for everyone. ;) When reading this page you should focus and answer the following three questions:

1. Would you turn to page 100?
2. Why or why not?
3. Based on what you read, how likely would you be to buy the book?

More information on the festival at: Slice of the Blog Pie
More information on the challenge at: 99th Page


Switch
Young Adult Fantasy

Those underground felt the final heave and knew that something sinister had happened. Such a large quake could only be accompanied by catastrophe. Tremors continued to rattle through the maze of tunnels, causing some to collapse and others to fill with rocks and earth.

Regan and the family of assassins barely escaped permanent entombment as the routes behind them began to cave in. It took all of their lagging strength to stay ahead of the disaster. Stumbling, falling and gasping they pushed on. In the end all were safe, though there were several who would have turned back if they'd still had the option.

When they finally came to a quiet place the men gathered their wits, caught their breath and looked around. It was bad. They had lost their path. There was no way to tell where they were, or which way led to freedom. The girls could be anywhere. Maybe they were miles ahead, or on some other course entirely. Worse yet, and an option Regan was not prepared to consider, they could be lying crushed in a collapsed tunnel under a pile of stones.




Thar ya go! Hope you enjoyed! I also hope you have a fabulous Friday and a wonderful weekend. :) Thanks for stopping by.


Reader's Log:
10. XVI - Julia Karr
9. Valiant - Holly Black

Currently Listening:
Someone Like You - Adele

25 comments:

  1. I like the suspense, clearly there is a lot at stake in this story. Natural disasters, assassins, entombment-- very exciting world! I would love more feel for the voice. Is Regan telling the story? I want to feel what she feels while all of this is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regan is actually a guy. It's a tricky stretch because my main character is unavailable for a while. I shadow Regan until she's able to return to central focus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, very intense! I would definitely read on to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. I like the suspense. I would read what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great place to jump into a story. There's obviously so much going on both before and after, and its almsot as if this page is an apex for the adventure. I'd definitely read more

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    I'd want the book to start at the beginning: the end would come with it! ;)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, the underground stuff is some of my favorite in the book, so I'm psyched that this page is 99!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At first I was confused but I do have questions I am interested in knowing. I'd want to go forward and see who we are rooting for, the women or the assassins. I'd want to know why they are underground. Have questions does help me want to read more and/or buy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting. Even though there's no dialogue I still get a feeling for the voice/style of the story, and I'm intrigued to know genre, why they're underground, what kind of assassins they are, etc. So, yeah, I'd probably turn the page. But I'd rather start at the beginning and catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, how can one quit in the middle of a cave in? I'd skim on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Without knowing anything about this, my main thought was that a ton happened in only one page. I would have liked to read some dialogue or see it through a mc's eyes instead of a general narrator's and maybe feel the suspense that way. Good scene, though, and I do want to know what a family of assassins is doing in underground tunnels (during an earthquake, no less).
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a little hard to tell from this page, I would want to see most of the chaos happening, not being told about it. Of course you could have spent the last three pages fulling describing it and this was the sum up. I like that there's a family of assassins. I would read more.
    Thanks for joining in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I felt the intensity of this scene, and also a lil'claustrophobic. I'm pretty sure that's what you were going for...at least I hope so :) I would read on. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You write 'losing hope' well.

    1. Would you turn to page 100? I would.
    2. Why or why not? Are the girls dead? Well, I want to know.
    3. Based on what you've read, would you buy the book? It would be a quick add to my Kindle wish list.

    Keep writing!

    Marie, http://marierearden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the idea of a family of assassins! That would get me to turn the page.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I, too, loved the family of assassins. How could I not?

    The setting is interesting-- full of all sorts of drama. It almost feels too quick. I'd like to experience the collapse and groping around in the dark a little more before being safe. But I'd read on.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had me at "family of assassins"--would turn the page and find out what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like that this really is in the middle of the action--it's what should be going on around pg. 100...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now that's scary, you've got to read on. What if they're crushed under a pile of stones?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You bet, the girls have to be found! Onward killers in relative danger!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would also like to feel a little more emotion but I liked it and want to know about the assassins and the girls.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the premise. Assassins after an earthquake. Very interesting.


    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks everyone for your feedback! I really appreciate that you took the time to come by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's excellent, I would definitely red on! Sorry for the late coment!

    ReplyDelete