Monday, March 14, 2011

Down the Hatch

If you've read a few of my other posts, you might know that I've had a varied and troubling history with food. I used to do all the weird things people do to lose weight, all the while hating myself and hating food.

Since then I've grown into healthier (and less stressful) eating habits. As a dancer I'm intensely aware of how my diet affects my ability to do my job. I know what sorts of foods I need to eat before teaching or performing, the foods that will give me the energy I require without sitting heavily in my stomach. I know when I'll have to snack up in order to keep control of my mind and body. I actually put a lot of thought and effort into these things because, well, I guess that's normal for a dancer. You have to be able to count on your body to be there for you.

Why, then, don't I put the same sort of thought into my diet where writing is concerned? It stands to reason a healthy meal or snack rich in proteins would be excellent in promoting my ability to focus. I know that the foods I eat can effect the way my brain functions. Why then, and this probably goes for a lot of writers, do I snack up on foods filled with empty calories that will probably leave me wired? Sometimes I'll stare at the computer screen with my brain bouncing around thinking maybe I shouldn't have eaten so much sugar. Huh. :)

What are your preferred working snacks?





















Reader's log:
25. Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator - Roald Dahl

3 comments:

  1. No eating while I write, but after a couple of hours, when I need a break--coffee and a handful of pecans or almonds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been doing this fitness competition at my gym so I've been eating healthy that last few weeks and it is amazing how focused I feel. So much easier to work on things when I'm eating trail mix (the kind without M&Ms) and fruits and veggies for snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't eat while I write. But after I'd love chocolate and stuff but I try to eat carrots and nuts and fruit.

    ReplyDelete