Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Writer as Editor

Writing is a humbling business. You can read something over and over again, put your stamp of approval on it and still miss typos. I know this is something Amanda Hocking has complained about: the difficulty of editing your work to a publishable standard on your own. I did multiple cleansing sweeps of Moosh and today (after publication, yes, that's my eyes you hear rolling) I found an innocent typo. A word that snuck in where it didn't belong. Kill it!

Just another reminder of my humanity and how much I still have to learn.

The good news is... I've got the clean version uploaded and Amazon is in the process of switching it out right now. Yes, I thought I was too good to have to deal with these kinds of problems. No, I'm not.

Once in university the "P" key on my keyboard stopped working and I didn't notice until I was finished typing my research paper. Spell check caught most of the problems, but neglected to inform me that all instances of "place" were written as "lace". My professor was pretty confused by that.

Anyhow, if typos are annoying to you and you've already purchased a copy of Moosh, please let me know. I'll email you an updated file. On the other hand, if you live for rare copies, hurry and download the story now, before Amazon swaps it for the updated version. It could be worth something. Heh. (yeah right). ;)

Either way, I hope you have a great day and the sunshine is as bright where you are as it is here. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment