Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Road Trip Wednesday #79: Your Writing Goal Rewards

How do you reward yourself when you meet your writing goals? Answer for big goals (i.e. I will buy a Lear jet when I get published) and/or small goals (I eat an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's in one sitting when I finish each chapter).

I don't generally have physical rewards for myself. The first draft of my first book took me years to write and I thought at the end of it I'd go out for dinner or have a celebratory glass of wine or something. But I didn't. Not sure why. What I did do was post obnoxious celebratory statements on facebook (and possibly twitter), then pester my family and boyfriend (now husband) by bragging about how awesome I was.

I get work done and life goes on.



However, if I ever manage to get published, there will be a party for the ages. Roller coasters, fireworks, cliff diving, and unicorn party favors. (Or, I'll just call everyone I know and brag my pants off).




Honestly, I don't do this for the rewards. Finishing a chapter is a reward in and of itself. Getting published is the most awesome reward ever. I don't know that a cupcake would live up to that. ;)

Reader's log:
39. Holy Fools - Joanne Harris
40. Battle Royale - Koushun Takami

10 comments:

  1. Oooh...cliff diving. Sounds like my kind of party.

    I agree that finishing a draft or getting an agent/book deal really is the biggest reward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, very cool roller coaster! Bragging rights is pretty much the best reward, even if you're only bragging to yourself. In your head. Since writers often do talk to themselves . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a crazy roller coaster! Is that Dubai? You're right though, getting published would totally be a reward in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok- I don't even like rollercoasters, and that one looks awesome.
    unicorn party favors, like we all get one to take home? A real unicorn? Sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, a real unicorn to take home with you. :)

    It's called the Vanish Rollercoaster and it's a part of Cosmoland in Yokohama, Japan. I found a video! http://youtu.be/ApA3-kPAZwA

    That building in the back totally looks like it could be in Dubai.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that rollercoaster looks amazing!

    Definitely throw yourself a big party ^_^ And cliff diving? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh lord, the water + roller coaster combo makes me a little queasy. O_o

    ReplyDelete
  8. I almost put that same pic on my post!

    Yay! Rollercoasters and unicorns!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finishing and getting published ARE the best rewards for sure, but cupcakes and roller coasters would definitely ad to the excitement :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the roller coaster pic--not that all the money in the world could actually get me to go on it! A fun trip as a large reward would be awesome, though. You are so right that finishing and meeting those goals are enough reward in themselves. I tend to post the milestones along the way, too, on my facebook page, my website, my blog...

    ReplyDelete