Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My Writing Thoughts for the Day

I apologize for my somewhat sporadic posting schedule. I'm thick in the middle of revisions and it is difficult for me to tear myself away for something as mundane as writing a blog entry. I have a fear of breaking momentum, because I suspect that as soon as I take a break, I won't be able to start up again. Kinda like trying to roll a snowball uphill. You can't stop and take a drink of water. You just gotta keep rolling that thing, or it might crush you.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised by how quickly Mysterious Other Novel is going. Much faster than Switch, though, in my defense, Switch was my first completed novel. I was figuring out a lot of things along the way, including how best to force myself into productivity.

I've learned that starting is the hardest part. Sitting down and opening the word document (or binder, in the case of revisions). If I can get that far, then I've already won.

I always loved creative writing. In high school and college, it was one of my favorite subjects. But, I never believed I could do it. I didn't think I had the discipline or patience to sit down and complete anything, so I didn't even try. It's taken me this long to believe in my ability to write novels. I'm kind of jealous of the blogs I read by young students who are immersed in their own projects. Granted, I'm not that old, but how much more would I have learned by now if I'd started writing seriously when in college, or even high school? Not that I have regrets, but I do have a lot of respect for all the young writers out there. They're pretty amazing. I love that they have faith in their abilities and the confidence to simply write. That's a great thing to have.

Okay. That was my rambly blog entry for the day. I hope everyone out there is pleased with their current progress and I wish you happy writing.

Reader's log:

52. The Body Finder - Kimberly Derting
53. The Forest of Hands and Teeth - Carrie Ryan
54. An Abundance of Katherines - John Green
55. Creep - Jennifer Hillier

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are immersing yourself in your writing. I've been taking a break, getting reading to revise.

    ReplyDelete