Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Road Trip Wednesday #95: Deja Vu All Over Again

Guess what? This is my hundredth blog post!


Woo!

Today's Roadtrip Wednesday Topic is:
What themes, settings, motifs, scenes, or other elements do you find recurring in your work?

I've written roughly 2.5 novels and yes, I've revisited a number of elements. Sometimes over and over again.

  • I tend to use rain as a thematic element and to add extra drama to moments of high tension. Probably because I live in Seattle and am quite familiar with rain weaving itself into my life. There'll usually be at least one "rain scene" in each of my stories.

  • I've found myself returning over and over again to the idea of manipulation. Whether by the government or more immediate characters, I'm always interested in the ways that people will allow themselves to be manipulated. Do they even realize they're being used? At what point do they put their foot down? What pushes them to take action? My first book examined the idea from the standpoint that we're all the world's fools to some extent. The one I'm working on now is more empowered (but only a little bit). Yes, heavy stuff for YA, but is any age group more familiar with being controlled? I remember my teenage years as a constant game where I always had to deduce who was on my side and who was merely using me for their own gains. Someone can be your best friend one day and your worst enemy the next. Even those in positions of authority, like teachers, can't always be trusted. They have their own agendas and needs, which sometimes conflict with those of their students. So, yeah. I'm fascinated by manipulation.

  • I also tend to explore the idea of "twisted romance". I've yet to yet to write a purely romantic book where two people fall in love at first sight and spend the rest of the story getting together. My characters are always falling in love with the wrong person or falling in love with the right person too late. Guess I'm just a jerk.

So, there you go. What about you? Do you find you have a similar approach to romance or manipulation? Do you use rain in your stories, or is some other kind of weather more common to you?

Thanks for reading!


12 comments:

  1. I think the "twisted romance" element is what makes a good book. No one wants to read a story where the characters are in love with no trials or tribulations. That's just boring and wrong. So, no--you're not a jerk. You're a good writer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that process of learning to recognize manipulation (and learning to use it yourself) is so key to growing up. Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 100th post. I like the idea of rain. Some friends who live in Seattle for a while loved all the rain. They pointed out that you don't have to shovel rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by. I love rain scenes. I used to live in Oregon, so I know all about rain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of manipulation, especially in YA. I think a lot of teens can relate to that, no matter what setting it's in.

    And happy 100th post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh rain. It can add a very cool element of drama. (And I'm a UW grad so WOO Seattle!)

    And instant love is boring! I love twisted love stories to keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on 100 posts! :)

    My last WIP had an undercurrent of manipulation throughout; on the side of the government and from some of my main characters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of twisted romance. My favorite kind. :)

    Did I tell you I went to Les Mis? It was fabulous, just like you said it would be! I got chills.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "falling in love with the right person too late" Oh, that's just too painful. You know, in a delicious kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG a rain scene would be so fun to write! And manipulation...so intense.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I live in eastern NC and rain definitely storms its way in to my stories - especially when something bad is happening. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 100th post! I like the way you're switching up the formula for romance and twisting it. And haha, I tend to have rain scenes in my novels too! since I live in Oregon (very similar weather to Seattle). It adds variety to the scenes, changing up the weather so it's not always sunny/hot. Sorta depends on what time of year the book is set.

    Very cool about manipulation--I have some of that in my YA...the last 2 in fact. Hidden agendas, secrets. It's fun cuz it makes the book kind of a mystery--the reader can start figuring it out before the MC.

    ReplyDelete