Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Valentine

This post is for the YA Highway Blog Lovefest. :)

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! I kind of miss the days when everyone brought paper valentines for the whole class, we got to draw hearts instead of learning math, no one was technically "alone", and the sugar high was comparable to Halloween. Even now that I have an awesome man to share the day with, there's a bittersweetness that prevails. You know? Maybe it's the memory of past Valentine's Days spent alone, or maybe it's just odd to have the calendar forcing us into romance. It feels like the couples-only dances at weddings, when singles have to clear the floor. Does anyone actually enjoy those? They're like a romance costume, not an actual romance. But, back in the day, kissing was something we did on a dare and our interactions with the opposite sex weren't tainted with the fear of dying alone.

Wow, that kind of got away from me.

Most of us have had our share of loneliness. Oddly enough, it's one of the unifying factors of humanity.

I was lonely for many Valentine's Days.

Then I met hubby. Yay! Love!

For much of our early relationship, hubby and I did not live in the same city. We visited each other whenever we could, but there were long stretches when most of our interactions were online, through instant messages, social media and email. Maybe part of the reason I fell for him was because his commas were so thoughtfully placed. ;)

Even though I was in a serious relationship, there were still some lonely Valentine's Days.

Some of you may have experienced this. After enough lonely Valentine's Days, you start growing a thick skin. You tell yourself it doesn't matter, you call it Single's Awareness Day, you do what you can not to think about the fact that the dj has ordered you off the floor. It's just another day to get through. Those of us who do have "special friends" sometimes feel an invisible sense of obligation, or maybe even guilt that our single friends aren't safely in the "taken" crowd. There are so many angles, so many layers of complication within romance, that a box of chocolates or a heart pendent feels oddly out of place.

This year I'm going old school. All the way back to the classroom, when everyone got a piece of paper with Snoopy, or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, or Popples, or My Little Ponies printed on them. This year is about candy and confetti and friendship and fun. Brownies, cupcakes and crayons. It's about you, the awesome people who visit my blog and share your stories. Because you're all my Valentines. :)


24 comments:

  1. May I have a My Little Ponies Valentine... Please!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XeLseVP8GI

      :)

      Delete
  2. "There are so many angles, so many layers of complication within romance, that a box of chocolates or a heart pendent feels oddly out of place."

    Well said. Lovely post!

    Happy Day ~
    Christine
    @thatgalkiki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Happy Day to you as well. :)

      Delete
  3. I heart Valentine's Day for those same old school memories! Check your mailbox in a few days for a little throwback for next year! :) -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, it took me a minute to figure out who you were. :) Welcome to the blog!

      Delete
    2. I see you got the delayed Valentine(s) :) Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. I love those memories too. I kept the valentines for years and years. It made me feel special that people always gave me the Minnie Mouse valentine from the Disney box because they knew how much I loved her.

    What did you think of Soulless? I kind of loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, kids can be oddly thoughtful. I wouldn't be surprised if I still have some of those old valentines in a box somewhere.

      Soulless was such a fun read. I think there's a bit of Emma Peel in Alexia Tarabotti, which can only recommend her. :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! And I totally miss the days of decorating bags to put on our school desks. Or getting the valentines from the boys (always some sort of athlete) and trying to somehow interpret "you're a slam dunk" to equal "I like you". Maybe that was just me :) Thanks for the post, and happy valentine's day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best was when we got time off from studying math to decorate our bags. :) Art instead of math? Yes, please!

      Boys were pretty elusive creatures back then...

      Happy Valentine's Day!

      Delete
  7. also, I accidentally posted using dad's account before, in case you're wondering about the deleted comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This morning I was totally going to leave Hubby a construction paper heart in honor of old school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old school valentines are the best valentines!

      Delete
  9. oh, this is such a great post. my husband and i were long-distance for the first two years of our relationship, and those v-days without him still sucked. popples valentines for all! (my favorite was puffball.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a big fan of giving everyone a little love on Valentine's Day.

    Also, love this: "Maybe part of the reason I fell for him was because his commas were so thoughtfully placed. ;)"

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I was younger Valentine's Day seemed like a day where you send anyone a card but once I started moving into the teenage years the day suddenly was about couples and dating. It really can make people feel lonely.

    So let's love everyone this year! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet post! Happy belated Valentine's Day to ya. (And I loved your comment on my post--so true! about the variety of dance despite the same arms and legs to work with). Interesting about the bittersweet feelings of V-day. I can relate! So true. Holidays like this can definitely make single people feel odd and left out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a huge Valentine's Day person anymore, but posts like this remind me of why I used to love it. There was a lot of joy in celebrating V Day when I was younger.

    What a love story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "They're like a romance costume, not an actual romance." So true, and Valentines day can feel like that too...if the romance is there, you don't need a special day to remind you to be romantic. If it's not there then it's just a day to feel pathetic.

    Yay, little card valentines and sweet treats for everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete