Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Road Trip Wednesday #121: Wanderlove

This Week's Topic:
In honor of the release of Kirsten's WANDERLOVE yesterday, we bring you a travel-themed RTW prompt today! If you could wander anywhere in the world, where would it be, and why?

I've been extremely fortunate in that I've gotten to travel far further across the globe than I ever expected. I've ridden the canals in Venice, taken pictures of the Eiffel Tower, explored the beaches of the Seychelles, admired the street art in Santiago, wandered through the gold souks of Dubai, visited Jane Austen's home in Bath and the pub in Oxford where the Inklings used to meet, stood beneath the spray of Iguazu Falls, drank mate tea in Buenos Aires and beer in Munich, and even tasted Belgian waffles right by the Manneken Piss. All this and more. Actually, when I write it out like that, I have a hard time believing I've been to all these places. Shouldn't I be wiser, maybe even worldlier? Instead of the same old, dorky me? One would think.

Anyway, my point is that I've been to an awful lot of places. But, there's one location that never quite works out, one that I've wanted to see since I started on this crazy dance kick.




Don't worry. I'll get there eventually. :)

What about you? What city or country are you itching to see?

16 comments:

  1. Oh...well, you should definitely get yourself there! I haven't been in years, but it's a lot of fun! You can totally imagine Frank singing as the airplane lands...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing me, I'll probably start singing in real life. :)

      Delete
  2. New York is on my list. It's THE place in America that I desperately want to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! New York, then Hawaii comes in second. It's funny, because almost all of my friends have visited New York and Hawaii. I've been to other, more exotic places, but haven't been to these. There's a lot of romance in the idea of New York, isn't there?

      Delete
  3. I was young when I went to NYC so I'd like to go back again sometime.
    But I think I'd love to see all those places you've already been first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting the opportunity to travel is a tremendous gift. :)

      Delete
  4. Like you, I've been to a lot of awesome places... but NYC seriously beats them all. I didn't choose that, since I live so close, but it is by far my favorite city ever. You should make it a priority! It's like there is pure magic in the streets there--magic and urine, but you know, take the bad with the good and all of that ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I'll take the urine if I can get the magic. :) I think because it isn't as far away as some of the crazier places, it's easy to deprioritize. If that makes sense. But, I'd really love to go.

      Delete
  5. I am partial to NYC--I suppose I have to be, since I live there!
    I visited Iguazu a decade or so ago--one of my favorite places in the world. I'd love to go to the Seychelles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Iguazu amazing? I had no idea it would be as spectacular as it was.

      The Seychelles are gorgeous and the food is pretty amazing. They do all this great stuff with seafood; one of my favorite meals was a banana and fish pizza, which sounds gross, but was actually super-yummy.

      Delete
  6. I am very envious of your travel log - sounds like you've had some wonderful adventures. I haven't been to New York in 20 years, despite living only a 4-hour drive away. However I'm surprising my daughter with a trip to see a Broadway show for her birthday this year, as well as a stay-over in Times Square and a trip to her favorite Food Network chef's restaurant. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a wonderful gift for your daughter. Hope you guys have an amazing time!

      Delete
  7. If you can make it there...I'm a past actor/singer who didn't "make it there" (to see a Broadway show) until I was almost forty...it was worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to visit Japan someday. Or go to NYC again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely you've been to all those places! I've lived in Alaska, but I haven't been out of the US, or even east of Nevada. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that song! Really want to get to Australia and New Zealand soon. :)

    Also, wanted to say thanks for the words of encouragement you left on my blog last week. Really appreciated during a tough time for my family.

    EJ

    ReplyDelete