Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Opening the door

This year I completed my first novel, a young adult fantasy that takes place in the fictional country of Parnear. It took me over a year to complete the first draft (which seems embarrassingly long) and probably about another year to work through all of the revisions. I tend to overcomplicate and obscure things, so a lot of the work was geared towards keeping momentum in the story and characters. In the process I learned a lot about writing, and a lot about my own weaknesses and strengths.

Mostly, I learned that I can do it. Like many who claim they want to be writers, my hard-drive is cluttered with unfinished stories and concepts. But, I decided to apply the same mindset to writing as I do to choreographing. There was a time when I couldn't imagine creating more than one full dance a year. Now each year I choreograph hours and hours of movement. All it takes is practice, persistence, and a willingness to believe in the power of your work. And you know what? I really, really like the book that I've written. I'm not ashamed to say that I'm proud of the work I put forward. I've accomplished something that I always wanted to do and I've done it with flair. So take that!

Now I'm going through the agonizing process of querying and... (don't tell!) I've started on a sequel. Because I know exactly what I want to happen next and how I want it to happen. The door in my brain that enables me to do this has opened wide and I don't know if I can ever shut it again. Now I'm addicted to writing stories, the same way I'm addicted to making dances. Only two of the most impractical career choices ever, right? Ah well. Those who know me will recognize the following quote: "I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul."

Welcome to my blog!

Rambling Man - Laura Marling

No comments:

Post a Comment